Friday, October 10, 2008

Class in Session






I am visiting my sister in Vancouver for Thanksgiving.  She attends art school on an island full of bohemian  hipster fairies.  While some of their sartorial looks are most challenging to the eyes, there is a lovely sense of freedom to the way they put themselves together.  No thought is given to practicality or occasion--only self-expression.  My sister has a sense of whimsy when it comes to school attire--sequin backless dress one day, zippered scuba pants with a peasant top the next.  It is refreshing after a high school career spent in a belted tunic and godawful red blazer for her to wear whatever the heck she wants.  While I also have the same freedom at U of T, the school lends itself to a more sedate style.  Besides our turkey-shaped library, the place lacks panache.  While the style of the student body can veer on dull, I look to inspiration from my favourite example of scholastic style: Love Story.  Ali McGraw and Ryan McNeil's 70's Bostonian Ivy League look was just perfect for long days spent in lecture halls.

Adages of Love Story Style :

* Centre-parted hair tucked behind ears
* Scarf wrapped around neck and hanging down back
* Pea Coat in navy, khaki green, camel or gray
* Cream cardigan
* Penny Loafers
* Riding Boots
* Hunter Green Wellies
* Tuque Hat
* Cognac Saddle Bag
* Corduroy 
* Herringbone Tweed Blazer
* Thick Striped Sweater
* Ribbed tights
* Suede belt
* Sandalwood perfume

Also got me thinking of a friend I have at UPenn who really nails this look.  When I visited Philly she said in her sweet Brazilian accent that she was going for a nerd look.  Works for me.   Sometimes conservative styles make the boldest statements.  I hate that word right now because it is so affiliated with politics.  And Cindy McCain doesn't exactly exemplify conservative style. Her and Palin both need a serious makeunder.  



x M.


No comments: