Saturday, October 18, 2008

Ladies who Launch


Kvetching passengers in Juicy sweats, and ponchos, have invaded airports nation-wide, downgrading our flying esthetics from ‘jet set’ to ‘jet shlep’.

I recently flew Porter to Montreal, and although it was a super short flight, the experience really made an impression on me. From their chic lounge, and adorable stewardess uniforms, to their fabulous customer service and super speedy check in, I was truly inspired to look like a lady upon my return flight home (without sacrificing comfort of course).

Two days later, I find myself strutting through Dorval in a bright yellow tulip skirt (wide elastic band waist is key), with black tights, fitted turtleneck, and a cozy little black bolero in tow. I shoved my ugly corduroy carryon in my luggage and opted for a small and structured wool vintage bag to hold my bare necessities. I ditched the usual fashion mag, for a style inspiring read, “All You Need To Be Impossibly French” by Helena Frith Powell. I stood out from the airport masses like a Chanel suit at K-Mart, creating an important impression even before arriving at the final destination. It’s quite fun to think of the dreadful flight as a luxurious event.

Need a some fashion flight inspiration of your own? Pop in the Down with Love DVD and take a cue from Barbara Novack. Her travelling ensemble to NYC was structured and stylish from her wrist gloves to her matching hat box-esque carryon. Ms. Novack’s character made show stopping impressions throughout the entire film, wherever she roamed.
-Carly

1 comment:

Percy Chatsworth said...

Do you happen to have a photo of this lovely airplane outfit?

Upon reading, 'bright yellow tulip skirt, black tights, fitted turtleneck, black bolero and structured wool vintage bag' I nearly squealed with delight. What a wonderful way to travel! Smart and fresh.